- Published: Tuesday, 27 September 2016 00:00
- Hits: 3498
The Tour of the Fireflies is a serious event because it deals with a serious issue: protecting the environment as we promote the use of the bicycle for clean air and sustainable communities.
We really want to give you 10 reasons but the truth is, there is really only one big reason why bicyclists join the Tour of the Fireflies and it’s not a secret at all: it is fun. The rest of the reasons are just like icing on the cake – they’re sweet but not fattening; they’re beautiful and thus, they make you beautiful too; and they’re a celebration of what people can do together for a good cause. But since we said top 10, we will give you the top 10.
Joining the Tour of the Fireflies:
10. Means you want to show the world that you love to bike.
It doesn't matter if you will be riding an old surplus bike or a brand new one. What counts is that you will be having fun while doing something you love.
9. Gives you the bragging rights to having biked with at least 15,000 bikers in the country.
If that's not something to brag about, we don't know of any other reason that could be.
8. Provides you the best reason you can give your husband/wife for buying the bike you have always wanted.
Well, it may be between spouses to settle, but for us at the Firefly Brigade, both of you are welcome!
7. Takes you to places you have never been before in Metro Manila.
Metro Manila is huge but with bikes, we can go anywhere and have more fun between our legs.
6. Prepares you so you can bike to work on your own.
The Tour of the Fireflies, as we have always said, is one big critical mass ride and CMRs are your way to learn how to bike properly on our city streets. So come and join and learn to bike to work.
5. Allows you to fulfill your dream of finally riding a bike, something that you have postponed for ages.
If you have been postpoining your plans to learn how to bike, this is one big opportunity to do so without losing your dignity even if you fall. You will be among friends.
4. Makes you part of the global solution to worldwide environmental problems.
Our efforts may be small compared to global movements, but we have grown througout the years and becoming recognized internationally.
3. Introduces you to the company of like-minded individuals who want to live in clean cities using sustainable resources.
This is your chance to start a new lifestyle that could help you not only live longer, but inspire other people to do the same.
2. Unites all our efforts to understand that the bicycle can transcend cultural, social, and political boundaries as it bonds all bike-loving individuals and turns them into one, happy bicycling community.
Bikes can be great equalizers in a society divided by political, social and ethnical realities. While the bike you ride may cost less than others, still, a bike, any bike will always have two wheels to run and nothing more.
1. Well, we’ve run out of reasons so we will just repeat what we have stated above: the number one reason is: IT’S FUN.
TheTour of the Fireflies is a serious event because it deals with a serious issue: protecting the environment as we promote the use of the bicycle for clean air and sustainable communities. This goal is about our future, but it is also about what we are doing today to fulfill that future. However, beyond this serious goal is our fun way of going towards that direction. The Tour of the Fireflies also wants to celebrate the fact that we can have all kinds of reasons to join, but in the end, it all boils down to doing our part in protecting what we love and preserving what has been given to us as a legacy – stewardship of the earth.
See you in the coming Tour of the Fireflies 2016!
If you have other reasons to join the Tour of the Fireflies this year, please share them with us at the comments below.
This post is an updated version of an article with the same title published last year.